Wow, I Forgot My Own Blog-Versary
It was on Thurday. It’s been 7 years, it’s been one wild, crazy ride.
Not sure that ride is ever going to end when I think about it.
FIFA Looking to Ban Vuvuzelas During Rest of World Cup
There is a God.
Well, It’s Better than “The Department of Armed Boats and Macho Dudes”
The Hill reports that 80 Senators are on-board with a bill to rename “The Department of Navy,” to “The Department of Navy and Marine Corps.” The bill is the brain-child of Kansas Senator Pat Roberts (R), who is an ex-Marine himself. For years — and I saw this as the brother of two Marines, one still active duty — those who have been honored to have earned the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor of the United States Marine Corps have stubbornly admitted that the Marines are part of the Navy.
It’s a Marine ego thing, and frankly, I think it’s sort of stupid and the Senate should focus on other things to do with its time than this. Besides, it’s fun to hear Marines tell you the reality of this situation in fun and interesting way.
My all-time favorite was while attending the Marines’ “Evening Parade” by the President’s Own Marine Band which held at the DC Barracks during Fridays during the Spring and Summer months. There one of the young Marine musicians said, “Yes, as some of you may know, the Marine Corps is a department of the United States Department of the Navy…THE MEN’S DEPARTMENT.”
Got a great laugh from the section of the audience I was in.
The “Barrett Diet” Meets the GLBT Agenda
Daniel Suhr at GOP3 pointed this out earlier, but it’s always interesting to see when it gets picked up by a national newspaper. Good thing DPW Chairman Mike Tate is likely using whatever connections he had with Fair Wisconsin from his days there in 2006 to keep them quiet about the point that what Barrett wants to do on the Department of Corrections and Inmate Sex-Changes was just last month declared unconstitutional.
Makes calling them all a bunch of hypocrites that much easier to do.
Great Goal for a Kicker
Packers Kicker Mason Crosby has a new mantra for the 2010 season; “Just Make Kicks.”
Works for me.
DCCC Outsourcing Fund Raising to Lobbyists
Awesome, can’t wait to see who they gave Steve Kagen and Julie Lassa.
Lobbyists may be persona non grata on the campaign trail, but that hasn’t stopped the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee from tapping K Street’s brain trust to try to retain the majority.
Facing a tough political cycle, the DCCC is redoubling its efforts to enlist K Streeters to help its most vulnerable “Frontline” program Members with fundraising, messaging and campaign strategy.
The ask was formalized Wednesday evening at a dinner at Acqua Al 2, an Italian restaurant on Capitol Hill, organized by Jennifer Crider, political director for Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and deputy executive director at the DCCC.
Officially, Kagen is in the “Frontline” program. The DCCC hasn’t designated WI-07 in any DCCC program yet. In the past, they did have a habit of naming Democratic-held open seats in their “Red to Blue” program.
The “Red to Blue” program is supposed to be one about capturing seats, not retaining seats the party already holds.
One-Liners on DPW
- Saw that some media during this weekend’s DPW Convention made a point at reminding viewers that DPW doesn’t endorse candidates like the Wisconsin GOP does at its convention. No doubt, that is a Graeme Zielinski-fed line. Of course, as this cycle has shown, they have no need to for DPW to endorse their candidates, they’ll just play king-maker and arrange for who they want to run for certain offices, run for certain offices unopposed. (See: Tom Barrett, Julie Lassa, Lt. Governor rumors)
- Mike Tate made a point of saying he’s ‘staying around’ until he can retire Paul Ryan. Hope he has the patience for it, and DPW donors and activists can tolerate years of continual loses in WI-01.
- It’s hard not to feel pity for the young Democrats who are ignorant to believe that Todd Kolosso has any chance in hell against Jim Sensenbrenner. But they look so cute in their disbelief of reality.
- Jef Hall failed to find a candidate against Tom Petri; and doesn’t have the stones to take him on…again. (Remember, Mike Tate and Mark Pocan keep trying to convince us all WI-06 is a ‘stealth’ Democratic District.)
- Russ Feingold says he feels lonely as one of 5 non-millionaires in the U.S. Senate…tell Herb Kohl to retire then.
- Mark Neumann crashed…yeah, that campaign is almost nearing the “Bring out the laugh-track” stage.