The nearly three-year-old John Doe investigation into aides and associates of Gov. Scott Walker is closed, the judge who is overseeing that probe said Friday.
Neal Nettesheim, a retired state appeals court judge, said he entered an order Feb. 21 concluding the probe. The decision was made public after Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm concluded paperwork in the case.
No new charges will come from the John Doe investigation, Nettesheim said.
Chisholm confirmed the end of the investigation in a statement. “After a review of the John Doe evidence, I am satisfied that all charges that are supported by proof beyond a reasonable doubt have now been brought and concluded. As a consequence, last week my office petitioned for, and Judge Nettesheim has granted, the closure of the John Doe investigation.”
Milwaukee prosecutors launched a secret John Doe investigation into aides and associates of Walker nearly three years ago. Walker’s chief of staff contacted prosecutors over suspicions that more than the $11,000 was missing from Operation Freedom, a fund used to pay for an annual event to honor veterans and their families.
The investigation later was broadened into other areas, including another embezzlement case involving Operation Freedom money and two county employees in Walker’s office doing campaign work while at their taxpayer-paid county jobs.
Longtime Walker aide Timothy D. Russell pleaded guilty Nov. 29 to stealing more than $21,000 in Operation Freedom money. He was sentenced to two years in prison in January. Kelly Rindfleisch, who worked for Walker in the county executive’s office in 2010, was sentenced Nov. 19 to six months in jail for campaign fundraising at the courthouse using a secret email system installed there.
Darlene Wink, Walker’s constituent services coordinator at the county, pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors for doing campaign work while on the county clock.
Nettesheim noted that no new testimony had been taken in the investigation in months. The case had been kept open as a way to release documents tied to the criminal charges that already had been filed.
“No new testimony had been taken in the investigation in months…” Hey, remember when our side was saying this thing was pretty much over around Labor Day last year and the Left went nuts about it?
Guess who was right?
Oh, I full expect “WalkerGate” updates to continue. Why? Because the Left in this state has nothing else.
They are obsessed about this, so they have to hang onto it. They also have NOTHING BUT LOSERS when it comes to potential candidates for 2014 that they have to keep projecting that Russ Feingold can come to their rescue as some sort of white knight.
My advice to them regarding Feingold — Move on, and buy his book. He’ll be selling it more than himself for the next few months, if not years.
My other advice to those who have nothing better to do but continue to make an ass out of themselves over the John Doe, may best be shown visually.